Small Water Company Information Packet


The Public Utilities Commission is given the power and jurisdiction by the Idaho Legislature to supervise and regulate every water company that is a public utility in the State of Idaho. This authority is broad enough to include the power to do all things necessary to carry out the spirit and intent of the provisions of the public utilities' laws. A water company is a public utility if it is a private entity, either a corporation or a person that owns, controls, operates or manages any water system for compensation within the state. The following public entities are specifically exempt from the regulatory oversight of the Idaho Public Utilities Commission: Homeowner associations, cooperative associations, municipalities, and water districts formed by popular vote at a general election and approved by an Idaho District Court.

Types of Small Water Utilities and Who Regulates Them

Definitions of Water Utilities

Rules and Regulations

  • Idaho Public Utilities Commission Rules of Procedure IDAPA 31.01.01
  • Policies and Presumptions for Small Water Companies - IDAPA 31.36.01
  • Systems of Account for Public Utilities Regulated by the Idaho Public Utilities Commission - IDAPA 31.12.01
  • Customer Relations Rules for Gas, Electric and Water Public Utilities Regulated by the Idaho Public Utilities Commission - IDAPA 31.21.01
  • Information to Customers of Gas, Electric, and Water Utilities IDAPA 31.21.02
  • Uniform System of Accounts Class C as published by NARUC 1996 pdf document

Contact Information

Certificate of Public Convenience and Necessity (CPCN)

Rate Case

Sale or Transfer

Annual Reports

Sample Documentation

  • (For Documents in Word Format please contact Consumers Division - 208-334-0300)

P.O. Box 83720 Boise, ID 83720-0074
11331 W. Chinden Blvd., Building 8
Suite 201-A, Boise, ID 83714
Ph: 208.334.0300
Fx: 208.334.3762

Water Companies

Keep Me Updated

Subscribe to our Feeds

Commission Calendar

Consumer Forms

  • Consumer Assistance Form - Use this form if you need help resolving a problem with a utility or have a question about your bill, disconnection of service, service reliability and outages, cost of a line extension, customer service, or other issues.
  • Case Comment or Question Form - Use this form to file a comment or ask a question about a case pending before the Commission.

Know what's below.
Call before you dig.