Official Government Website

Consumer Complaint / Inquiry Form

Use this form if you need help resolving a problem with a utility or have a question about your bill, rates and charges, disconnection of service, outages, or other issues that are not related to a utility case.

You may also contact our office at (208) 334-0369 or 1-800-432-0369.

Use the Case Comment Form to file a comment or ask a question about a utility case pending before the Commission.

If you want to know more about the Commission's regulatory authority, click here.

Consumer Complaint / Inquiry Form
First Name:
Last Name:
Daytime Phone:
Utility Company:
Contacted Company?
Ask a question or state your complaint: