Official Government Website


Idaho recognizes the following classes of telecommunications providers:

1. Local Exchange Carriers (incumbents) that existed prior to 1988 and provide basic local exchange services and have not chosen to be regulated under Title 62 are fully regulated under Title 61 of the Idaho Code.

2. Competitive Local Exchange Carriers (CLECs) that began providing basic local exchange services after February, 1996 are regulated under Title 62 of the Idaho Code. CLECs must obtain a certificate, file tariffs/price lists, and have approved interconnection agreements, pay a regulatory fee, and are subject to the Commission's dispute resolution authority.

3.Interexchange Carriers (IXCs) that provide intrastate long distance (MTS and WATS) services are regulated according to Title 62 of Idaho Code and are required to file price lists with the rates, terms and conditions, and availability of interexchange long distance service. These price lists do not undergo cost-based approval process, they are reviewed by Commission Staff to ensure that they comply with Idaho Code and the IPUC rules before they are "accepted for filing." IXCs also pay regulatory fees and are subject to the Commission's dispute resolution authority.

4. Other Telecommunications Service Providers that do not provide traditional basic local service or MTS/WATS service maybe regulated under Title 62 of the Idaho Code if requested. (Examples are fixed voice over internet protocal "VoIP") These companies are not required to have Certificates of Public Convenience or Necessity or to file price lists, but they are required to comply with the filing requirements of Idaho Code § 62-604.

5. Pay Telephones are considered interexchange carriers and must comply with Title 62 laws and the PUC rules. Additional rules apply solely to pay telephones.

6. Exempt service providers are companies not subject to the Commission's Title 61 or Title 62 jurisdiction, such as video programming, cable, paging/answering, satellite or mobile radio telecommunication (wireless) services. Wireless service providers are required, however, to participate in the Idaho Telephone Service Assistance Program (ITSAP).